Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Grammar Lesson - 9/22

Our first lesson went splendidly! A huge thanks to fellow art scholar Kristen Freeland for the lesson plan. Using the song "Buffalo Gals," my Spanish Oaks 5th graders learned to recognize nouns, verbs, and adjectives.

To learn the song, I had the 5th graders listen attentively to the words. We tapped the beat as we sang, and added some fun actions to specific words in the song. The boys definitely went a bit crazy with some of the actions, and we worked very hard to keep our oval round instead of a blob.

Once the song was learned, we identified the nouns, verbs, and adjectives with different colors on the whiteboard. Then, we performed the song by only doing the actions for the nouns, then the verbs, then the adjectives. I had some students pick combinations of the three as well.

I checked the clock and we still had 15 minutes! These 5th graders were smart and my pacing has definitely gotten faster. So, I made up an extra section of the lesson on the spot. We took the last line or two, "Buffalo Gals won't you come out tonight and dance by the light of the moon," and changed the noun "Buffalo Gals" to something else. We tried it with "Quarterbacks" and changed the action to throwing. Then, I split up the class into 3 groups, assigned them an animal, and had them change the verb at the end to something pertaining to that animal. It was fun to have the students create their own line to the song.

1 comment:

  1. What a fun lesson! I know I would have understood verbs, nouns, and adjectives so much better if this is how I was taught. I wish they had done this! Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete